Online learning company lynda.com announced the acquisition of Canadian startup Compilr, a software coding and development environment that allows people to learn, write, compile and test code from their browser.
This is the second acquisition by lynda.com after the company raised $103 million growth equity investment in January 2013, the first being Austrian startup video2brain.
Though terms of the acquisition have not been disclosed, TechCrunch estimates the purchase price at around $20 million according to sources. Compilr did not take any outside investment prior to the acquisition. This fits the approach the lynda.com founders took themselves who had grown the business to $70 million in annual revenue without venture investors since the launch in 1995.
Compilr’s learning environment will be implemented in lynda.com’s platform, adding a more interactive layer to its wide variety of programming courses. Compilr currently offers its environment for 12 programming languages at levels for beginners to advanced programmers. The service will also remain accessible outside of lynda.com for the foreseable future, Compilr users are invited to a free trial of lynda.com.
Coding was one of the big topics in 2013 and even if you take away a lot of the tech press hype around the vertical, programming skills are becoming more and more crucial. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Employment of software developers is projected to grow 22 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations.”
The acquisition also sets lynda.com apart from edtech startups like Udemy that now need to come up with something similar in order to compete with their established competitor.
- lynda.com Expands Programming Learning Tools; Acquires Compilr | BusinessWire
- E-Learning Platform Lynda.com Buys Compilr To Add In-Browser Coding Tools, Price Around $20M | TechCrunch
- Smart Education: How Lynda.com Hit $70M In Revenue Without A Penny From Investors | TechCrunch
- Lynda.com Lands $103 Million in Biggest Education Financing | Bloomberg
- lynda.com Acquires European Online Learning Company video2brain | BusinessWire
- With the Coding Hype Keyboards become the new Assembly Lines | EDUKWEST