Edtech news and event site EdSurge raised a $1.5 million Series A led by GSV Capital Corp. with participation of NewSchools Venture Fund, LearnCapital and a group of angel investors including Imagine K12, John Katzman and Lynda Weinman. Matthew Hanson of GSV Capital will join the EdSurge board.
EdSurge raised a $400k seed round in August 2012 led by Washington Post Co. and NewSchools Venture Fund and has received grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
With the new funding EdSurge plans to expand into four areas
- organizing live events across the US to bring together educators and edtech companies
- producing research papers and reports for schools, edtech companies and investors
- developing a hiring site for edtech experts
- growing the EdSurge newsletters
- EdSurge Wraps Up Funding; Launching New Initiatives | EdSurge
- Washington Post, NewSchools Venture Fund Back EdSurge | EdSurge