As part of its Kindle Direct Publishing program Amazon announced the launch of KDP EDU. The new portal aims to help educators and education authors to easily convert existing textbooks or other study materials from pdf to digital textbooks.
Those digital textbooks can then be accessed on a variety of devices, from Amazon’s own Fire tablets, to iOS devices and Android devices to Mac and Windows desktops.
Books that are created with the new Kindle Textbook Creator also have some useful features baked in.
- Multi-Color Highlighting – Learners can highlight and categorize key concepts for easy reference.
- Notebook – Learners can capture key passages, images and bookmarks and automatically add them to the notebook. Learners can also add their own notes and easily access them from one location.
- Flashcards – Learners can create flashcards and study important terms, concepts, and definitions in each chapter with a simple, easy-to-use interface.
- Dictionary – Learners can find definitions and Wikipedia information for difficult terms to improve retention.
- Buy Once, Read Everywhere – Learners can access their etextbooks on all of their devices.
Educators and authors can earn up to 70% in royalties while maintaining complete control over the content. They can also participate in the different marketing formats offered by Amazon including the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library.
The Kindle Textbook Creator software can be downloaded for free and runs on Mac OS X 10.8 or later and Windows 7 or later.
- Amazon Launches Kindle Textbook Creator | Business Wire